ASPHALT CONCRETE/ TAR ROADS
At present, flexible asphalt concrete pavements are most widely used all over the world. The service life of motor roads properly constructed of hot asphalt concrete may reach 5 and more years even under conditions of intensive motor traffic.
However, the experience of maintaining and repairing motor roads shows that cracks and other defects appear on the surface of asphalt concrete pavement even during the first years of its service. Gradual ageing of the bituminous binder in asphalt concrete more and more intensifies the arising destructive processes, and all this results in losing the motor road performance properties and in the need for repair.
The main destructive factors of asphalt concrete are the action of water, temperature fluctuations, and ultraviolet radiation. Such destructive actions, combined with the action of traffic load and vehicle wheels, result in a considerable intensification of the pavement destruction processes.
Moreover, water penetration through the pavement causes destruction of the road sub grade, especially if the previously laid layers and the sub-grade itself are improperly constructed or cracked. Combination of the above described adverse factors shortens the service life and results in the necessity for early repairs of the pavement. The road pavement defects produce more and more problems year after year. They deteriorate the evenness of pavement, and correspondingly, reduce the speed and worsen the ride quality, cause an increase in vehicle operation costs, and above all, deteriorate the road safety.
The conventional methods of extending the service life of asphalt concrete are sometimes ineffective and often very expensive because they require the use of special heavy equipment. Modification of road bitumen with various polymers causes a sharp rise in the cost of asphalt concrete and fails to solve the whole problem. This approach only puts off the destruction of asphalt concrete for a short time because it does not allow prevention of new deformations and distresses for a long period of time.
BENEFITS OF SEALKOTE
- Excellent adhesion, will not chip, peel, flake or delaminate from the pavement surface
- SEALKOTE is surface applied to existing pavement revitalizes your asphalt pavements
- Reduces viscosity and increases flexibility of pavement, replaces lost asphalt oils that are essential for a long service life
- penetrates into and becomes part of the asphalt, provides fuel and chemical resistance
- Seals the pavement with a uniform black, even wearing finish
- Is not water soluble and will not flush from the surface
- Does not create a surface buildup that will hinder any subsequent treatments
- SEALKOTE is environment-friendly due to its production and application: it leaves no waste requiring disposal
- SEALKOTE is used cold, and this decreases the use of hot-mix asphalt contaminating the environment.
- A thin membrane of SEALKOTE improves the protection of pavement surface from spilt fuel and oil.
- Since SEALKOTE closes pores and micro cracks in road pavement, this coating decreases the traffic noise 20% to 30%
- A thin membrane of SEALKOTE solves a problem of the slurry seal method widely used all over the world. The weak layer of slurry seal 8 to 12 mm thick is prone to rapid abrasion under the action of traffic, and the abrasion results in raveling and formation of deep ruts.